Tuesday, May 4, 2010

LSTD 1243 Unit 2 Reflection on writing about globalization

When I chose to write about globalization, I was not really positive what it was about. I had a vague idea--I knew it involved countries being involved together--but I was not aware the extent of effect it had.

I had problems because there was so much information I had a difficult time organizing my information. I would read and read and still get confused.

I am not an activist kind of person, I am usually pretty middle of the road. People say that is a cop out because I don't want to take a stand on things and for the most part they are correct. I don't see globalization as an issue that is going to motivate me to take action, but I definitely see both sides of the argument.

I am not for or against globalization as a whole. I don't think anyone really can be. It branches into so many different issue that it is a little chaotic. Some issues, such as women's rights, are a little more concerning to me than something that is strictly a political or corporate power play. I do feel that as manufacturing is outsourced to developing countries, it brings with it the exposure that is beneficial to serious issues such as disease, lack of medicines or clean drinking water. I think human nature tells us this is the right thing to do. However, when you visit towns that used to be supported be a factory that has been closed due to outsources and you see how many Americans that are suffering from poverty, it makes me wish someone could find the fine line of helping them and helping us.

No comments:

Post a Comment