Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Global Warming

Upon reading both articles, No Global Warming by Richard Lindzen and State of the Science: Beyond the Worse Case Climate Change Scenario by David Biello, I was both interested and alarmed. Being a person in my early 30's, I have heard the phrase "global warming" for as long as I can remember. I have always heard "Don't use hairspray in aerosol cans!" but was never really sure if what I did mattered. As the topic became hot because of Al Gore's "An Inconvienient Truth", I thought, oh crap! This is happening! What the hell should I do?

After reading Richard Lindzen's article, I feel more prepared for the situation. Maybe because it is a less alarmist article. He points out very interesting facts, such as the earth's climate is dynamic. It is always changing and changes are cylical. When he comments about those that are "exploiting fear" made a lot of sense to me. That is what I feel like society is doing to me. I feel like it has been pounded into my head that if I don't take care of the planet, it will cease to exist one day. And now that weather patterns have changed, it is an opportunity for society to say "I told ya so!"

I also didn't realize that much of Al Gore's movie is NOT based on scientific fact! Wow, maybe I should make a movie and just say what I think! Another thing I didn't know is that mosquitos do not need tropical climates to survive.

Overall, I felt that Lindzen's article was much more informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment