Friday, February 26, 2010

My response to writing my community profile essay

Since I am the kind of person who loves to explore new places, I was loving the assignment to write about a place I had recently visited. Sadly, with all of the demands of life, I don't get to travel much. When I do, however, I feel like I am cheating myself if I do not take advantage of the opportunity to see EVERYTHING! Of course, every time a trip comes to an end, I feel let down that I didn't get to see every nook and cranny of the place I am visiting.

This assignment gave me the opportunity to re-live my trip to New Orleans. In addition to the the strong feelings I have about making the trip, I also feel especially close to New Orleans because it was my honeymoon when I was there. Being in such a special place for such a special reason was amazing.

Of course, with all of the wonderful experiences I had during the short trip there (I wish I could have stayed for 2 weeks!), the less than happy realizations come flooding back. This city is still in a recovery from one of the most brutal events of my lifetime. So many lives were lost, possessions destroyed and lives changed forever. Not only changed by the devastating natural disaster but the way this impossible situation was handled by the government. While this is not something you could ever be prepared for, more should have been done and what was done could have been done so much better.

As with all things, the good comes with the bad. Since my trip was made after Hurricane Katrina, it has a happier connotation because the city is on the mend and working toward being back to its former glory.

One last note, thanks to this assignment, I am already planning another trip to New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment