Friday, January 29, 2010

The experience of writing a memoir

Writing a memoir seems like something only those that are important would do. Successful executive describing what it takes to succeed, a Hollywood actress telling secrets of her past, or even a mother who raised 5 children on her own are the usual suspects for writing down their memoirs. I never considered being one of those people. I was apprehensive about an assignment that asked me to commit a memory to paper. Being a private person who has plenty of skeletons that I would like to keep hidden, I worried as I sat down to begin the assignment. After plenty of reflection, I started with a simple memory that did not divulge too much personal information, but one that has stuck with me.
Of course, the memory that I wrote about was not the first choice for a topic. It seemed dull and without life. As I began, though, it really took me back to a different time in my life. It is strange to think back to a time when I was a very different person. Younger and more idealistic, I remember at the time thinking that I had it made. Life was simple and I was on top of the world. The event that I wrote about was the beginning of me seeing how other people’s views and reactions were so different than mine and that people were living such a different life than me.
Writing down memories seems to be therapeutic. I may continue to do this outside of my assignments to help me remember who I was and how I became who I am today. I am sure that this will not be without a rainbow of emotions. Sadness, happiness and even astonishment will be just the tip of the iceberg as I recall the events that shaped my life and brought me to where I am today, a 32 year old college freshman in the second year of marriage.

More later,

KTW

No comments:

Post a Comment