Friday, April 16, 2010

response to writing rhetorical analysis

I can honestly say that this has been the hardest assignment of my entire college career. Not that my time in college has been significant. Nevertheless, this is a doozy. Maybe I am over thinking it. Maybe I just don't get it. I am not entirely sure I did it correctly. But it's done and I am sure the very kind Julie will let me know if I did it correctly or not. This assignment actually had (has?) me considering dropping the class and dropping out of college alltogether.

First off, what in the heck is a rhetorical analysis? Yes I read the chapters. I did extensive research online and asked all of my friends. Some friends looked at me like I was on drugs, not knowing what the heck I was talking about. But some did their best to explain it to me. "It's a non-judgmental analysis of a story or article." What? Who am I to judge anything?? Oh right, a college student.

I have read the chapters so many times that I know it better than I know my wedding vows. Okay, that is not a fair comparision, because I have no idea what I said on my wedding day.....to anyone. But you get the picture, I read it. A lot.

So ok, let's find some articles about something political or socially controversial. All the things I have read say to choose something you care deeply about. Oh crap. That is a problem. Because I don't care about anything. That may be a little of an exaggeration, I care about things. But I don't care deeply enough to stand out on the street corner yelling about it, so how can I pick something to analyze if it needs to be something I care about.

Then it came to me while laying in bed. Literally. My pug Siu Mai came over to me and laid her precious face on my cheek and fell asleep. I love pugs. I especially love my pugs. Siu Mai the pug was rescued from a puppy mill auction and it gives my physical pain to think of all of the pain and suffering that she had to endure before being rescued by someone that I feel is equivilent to her guardian angel. And that is how I found my topic and identified what I care enough about to try to do something to stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment