Friday, February 26, 2010

Ohno disqualified?!

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/35612301/ns/sports-olympic_sports/

Now, I am embarrassed that I do not follow the Olympics like a good, red blooded American is supposed to. Even with this handicap, I have been able to identify a few of the "shining stars" on the US Team. Again embarrassed, I only know who Apolo Anton-Ohno is because of his time on Dancing with the Stars. I said I was embarrassed, so stop judging.

Since his is a name I was familiar with, he is someone that I feel safe rooting for during the madness that is the Olympic Games. Tonight I watched some of Ohno's race, but guess I missed the wipe out. From reading this article, whether or not the author intended to appeal to Pathos in this article, I find myself affected emotionally by the news. Even though I am not a sports genius, the Olympics inspire national pride in even some of the less patriotic. It is in the human nature to want your team to win. As the grand dame of all sporting competitions, Olympic wins are a huge accomplishment for the nation that brings home the most wins.

It is appealing to the Lagos that as a fact, more medal wins equals a better team. A better team equals a more skilled competitor or team. The best team has the most bragging rights.

Since this article was obtained from a trusted news source, it is fair to assume that the author is well versed in the sport and in the manner in which the offense is laid out seems to be that of an authority.

Nationalism in general seems to lean toward appealing to pathos, there are factors that appeal to ethos and lagos, depending on the situation you are in. It seems, thought, that most patriotism is from an emotional place. Someone insulting your country would have the same effect to some as insulting their mother. Those that defend it to the death, while knowing logically that if they don't defend no one will, mostly do it because of their emotional motivation. National pride with me is evident to all that are around me because I cry every time I hear our national anthem.

Do I think Ohno should have been disqualified? I have no idea since I really have no grasp of the rules of speed skating. As an American, I want the US to have as many victories as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment